Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Eastern Gate

The Eastern Gate view we have all seen....
from the outside of the Old City taken from the area 
of the Mount of Olives. Most photos of this side of the city
are taken from there because of the heighth it provides looking down.
The Mount is just high enough and far enough away that it
captures the striking view. This was taken from the road
between the two.

But on top of the Temple Mount there's another view
and with it, the words to an old hymn ring in your mind...
I will meet you in the morning,
just inside the Eastern Gate.
Then be ready, faithful pilgrim,
Lest with you it be too late.

If you hasten off to glory,
Linger near the Eastern Gate.
For I'm coming in the morning;
So you'll not have long to wait.

Keep your lamps all trimmed and burning;
For the Bridegroom watch and wait.
He'll be with us at the meeting
Just inside the Eastern Gate.

I will meet you, I will meet you
Just inside the Eastern Gate over there.
I will meet you, I will meet you,
I will meet you in the morning over there.


It seems hauntingly wrong that the entrance is empty.
Waiting, perhaps?


We sat for a bit to discuss what we had read in Scripture and
what we were seeing as we walked on the Temple Mount.

You will also notice the ground level has been raised. 
We are near the top of the archways rather than the level
of the real entrance.

No comments: