Sunday, May 27, 2012

Israeli...It's What's For Dinner Tonight

I don't know what it is about the temperatures but I crave Israeli food when it's in the 90's. 
I couldn't resist the urge to turn up the heat a little more and keep my oven at 450 degrees for a while.
Tonight we had tabouli, Israeli salad, hummus, tzatsiki, olives and pita. 
Everything is homemade since I have no shuk around the corner. I've had to learn
to make these things myself. (well, not olives)


I tried a new pita recipe and like it just fine. Still trying to refine and tweak the recipes to my liking.
Here's the step by step process.

Proof the yeast and let stand for 10 minutes. 
Add dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon.


Knead on a floured surface for 8-10 minutes.
Love that you can feel the dough change with this step.


It will need to rise until doubled. Mine rose quickly because...
you guessed it...it's hot in Texas!
I let it continue rising 1 1/2 hours before punching down.

  
Next you begin dividing. I cover my dough balls with a damp towel and let them rise 20 more minutes
while my oven heats to 450. I placed my baking stone and cookie sheets in to heat up as well.


Roll into circles (or if you're like me you free form).
I kinda like the homemade look of free circles.


In the HOT HOT HOT oven they go for 5-8 minutes.
Sometimes mine puff and sometimes the don't. 
I'm liking them softer and thicker these days and can't resist butter on the first one.


I think I made 16 today and to my dismay there are only 5 left.
Sad thing is...it's just my husband and I eating. 
I was seriously craving Israeli fare.


Enjoy!

No comments: